Friday, January 8, 2010

strange and peculiar people

Looking through the eyes of a non-member coming to Church activities

Laura, my niece, has moved down from California. Cortney and Laura are very close and she has been dragging Laura to mutual. (Maybe dragging is too harse. She has invited her and Laura  said yes) I think it helps that I am there too, at least it makes spying a bit more easier... ooops I mean observing!:)

Laura must think we are wierd.  We start with opening exercises: opening song and prayer. Then we repeat the Young Women's theme and listen as the boys attempt to get through the Young Men's theme. Then we break into our activities.  Two days ago we did a service scavenger hunt.  I went with a different group so I did not see how she fared, but they said they had fun.  The idea must have sounded so strange to her but she went along with it anyway.

We have also been to the temple to see the lights. She enjoyed that as well. Then Ashley dragged her to the Multi Stake New Year's Dance (again I use the word drag loosely) and she went.  It was a bit hard trying to find clothes that were acceptable, us Mormons do dress very conservatively. She has a great time, even though she danced only once with a 15 year old boy (She is 19 so I think that was a bit too wierd for her.) 

We will continue to invite her and I hope she continues to say yes. Maybe someday she will be as strange and peculiar as us!

No comments: