Wednesday, January 13, 2010

Winter Formal

What a day! First of all, it was my baby brother's birthday and we had a party... just not for him.
 Zach had his first birthday party... ever. (I know, I know. I really need to work on the good parent thing.) The poor little guy's birthday is on December 28th and everyone is busy doing the family thing so we waited until the first weekend of the new year.  And that just happened to be the same day as the Winter Formal. But this is okay. Here is how both events went.

The Party:
It turned out better than I thought it would. Zach wanted to do a treasure hunt so we hid clues all over the place, inside and out. We even took advantage of our neighbors banana tree. How many people can say they have a banana tree just around the corner?  And we treated the paper the clues were on so they looked so authentic.  Britt and I had so much doing that.   Nine kids showed up and we were quite a sight running around in the front yard looking for clues.

I think it worked out pretty well.

reading a clue



The clue hidden in the banana tree. They did not find this one. We had to point it out!

Zach and his birthday cake.

 We played a few other games and they all enjoyed the WII Rock Band.  I think if we had done just that, they would have been content.  Wow! If I had known boys were this easy to entertain I would have done a party a long time ago.

The Dance:

 Cortney and Ashley went to dinner together at Red Robin and then came back to get ready. Ben decided to stick around himself, that way he wouldn't have to drive all the way home and then all the way back.  I don't think he knew exactly what he was getting himself into.

First, Brittany had to show off as only she can.  She chose to make earrings for Cortney and volunteered Ben to help. And Dani was over to see the events and she helped too. Brittany and Dani are quite a combination. (Giggles, silly comments. whispers, squealing, and then giggles all over again. Everything you would expect from tween girls!)
Meanwhile, Joey, who is almost Ben's biggest fan, did his own little showing off. He talked and talked and talked and talked and...... I really could go on.....

Then Mackenzie was not to be outdone by Joey. But the little lassie was torn between entertaining the boys or watching the girls get ready.

Josh came by a bit later and waited, as well, but he had been through the wringer a few weeks before so the kids gave him a break. I'm pretty sure he didn't mind, especially the earring-making part.


But all in all, the night was a great success. Both the girls looked great and they had a great time. Cortney came home first at 11:30 and Ashley made it home by 11:58, two minutes before her cerfew. Pretty good for her first date!
And I went to bed with an ache in my back and creaky bones!


Cortney and Josh heading off for the night.



Ashley and Ben heading off as well. Poor Ben. He spent an hour waiting for Ashley and being entertained by Joey, Mackenzie, Brittany (And Dani). Poor, poor Ben!



This picture is definitley going up on Joey's wall


And one with Ashley, so she won't feel bad, he says.


Brittany and Dani. Enough said.

3 comments:

Carolyn said...

Yeah--you posted with pictures! Not that your writing isn't great, but I also love pics. Your girls look BEAUTIFUL and those guyslook pretty decent too.:) What fun!

Chyrisse Ballard said...

Fun new blogs! Cortney and Ashley look so beautiful and grown up. I can't believe Cortney has a boyfriend. Well she is gorgeous, but I'm talking age wise. Your kids are great. You are such a great mom! I sure miss you all.

Halsey said...

Hello! Just blogspotting. Great blog! I bookmarked it.

Happy blogging! :)