This morning Joey chose to play Buzz Lightyear outside in the back yard instead of brushing his hair and putting on his shoes to go to school. Can't say I blame him. With 7 days of school left, everyone is trunky. Anyway, I took the other two to school and came back to get him. Luckily, both the elementary schools are very close. As Joey and I were headed to school, there was a police presence on the same street as the school. We did a detour and I dropped my son off safely, then started driving down the same street. The ambulance left just as we pulled into the school grounds. Half way down, off to the side of the road was a mangled bike. It seems a little one was hit by a car on the way to school. My mind started counting how many kids I know that go to the school and how many ride their bikes. Then I started thinking about the many times I let my children ride their bikes to school. Then I started realizing how many times I drive to school each day (six times). How careful am I? I hope the little tyke will be okay, whomever he is. And I pray that I don't know him, not that it matters. A hurt child breaks my heart no matter who it is. And I think I will try and drive a bit more carefully in the future. And did I mention we are buying helmets after school today?
note* The little boy, Juan, 4th grade, was taken to the hospital as a precaution. He suffered from minor scrapes and bruises and was released the same day. Thank goodness!!!
1 comment:
I'm glad to hear that the boy was okay. I had some trouble on the road today with drivers in the middle turning lane. If I was a bit more careful, I would have remained more calm. I would have let the drivers do whatever they intended to do. I'm not sure what they think that middle lane is for. It's a turning lane. But, I should be a more careful driver and remember that safety comes first. We would hate to find out how important safety is when it's do late. Thanks for reminding me that safety is so important.
Post a Comment