Thursday, October 10, 2013

Throwback Thursday

 
When the kids were little, before there was a Joey and a Mackenzie, we would go to Utah to visit the Meyers. They lived in a small town not too far from Vernal called Roosevelt.I know there was a grocery store, a Main Street, and even a gas station. The rest is kind of a blur.  It is that kind of town.(The 1st counselor in the Stake Primary is from this area and thinks it is so cool that someone knows where she grew up!)  David was a Corrections Officer in Duchene, another town not too far away.
 
Anyway, my kids loved to visit! There were a few neighbors, but they were a good distance away. There were cows, a few horses, and plenty of fields. And cats, but they came with the house. Mice control. I loved visiting because it was so quiet and it seemed like there was not a care in the world!
 
David was in an anti-TV kick back then so there was nothing to watch, but that did not stop the kids. They all found something to do and were always busy. I need to introduce Mackenzie and Joey to that concept.
 
We always had a date night every time we visited. It was one of those things we always did when we got together. One night, after taking 30 minutes just to pick up the babysitters, we headed for Vernal (45 minutes away!)
Vernal is a lot bigger than Roosevelt, but there still isn't a lot to do there. We headed to Walmart to buy Skipbo cards for their trailer. David said we needed to try them out because he hated new cards. We worked our way back to the lawn and garden furniture and sat at an expensive set of table and chairs. He proceeded to open the cards, start shuffling, and passing them out. Customers watched us as if we were committing a crime, but David didn't care and had the game ready and started. We were giggling so hard I could not see my cards, but when it was my turn, I did pretty well.
 
An employee walked by, watching us. David nodded and continued. I could not concentrate. I thought for sure any minute the  employees would ask us to leave. But no, so the game continued.

A few other employees walked by watching us intently. Caroline and I giggled even more.
The game finally ended, David winning.
(I think he did it on purpose. We were distracted and that's how he likes it!)
 
We took our purchase up to the cashier and they were all watching us and smiling. The first thing any on them asked was who won the game. Charming David just smiled and said it was him, of course! Apparently it was a slow night and they, the employees, were watching us on the cameras and taking bets as to who would win.
 
 We finished off the evening with a bowl of Moose Tracks at the local ice cream joint.
It was the most stressful, exhilarating, and funniest game of Skipbo I have ever played in my life! I love the Meyers! My cousin is a hoot!
 
I love small towns! Who says you can't have a great time?

 David, Zach and Nathan
Britt and Zach
Jeremy and Britt
Kayla, Cortney, Rebecca, Ashley
Cortney, Brittany, Ashley, Jeremy, Rebecca, Kayla

No comments: