Our first competition was great! Besides for a little backstage drama the whole afternoon was very good! We are still waiting for uniforms but we didn't seem to get docked for it! Very happy about that. And, silly me, I forgot to bring my sewing bag. I have learned I take that thing with me everywhere. But I figured there was no need since there was no uniforms.
WRONG!!!
One of the clarinets popped a button on her jeans! We had nothing! We ended up taping it together with medical tape and the tucking out her shirt enough to hopefully hide it. And one sweet booster sacrificed a lanyard and we cut it up and tied it around her waist just in case. At least those pants were not going to fall down around her ankles!
And I also decided I am going to just follow them around and not push/pull anything. There was so much help and I was in the way. Besides, if they get too used to me and there is a real uniform emergency I will need to be free, right? Hey, it sounds good to me!
After we performed and everything calmed down, I went to find my sister and sit with her a bit. The next thing I know there is Brittany sitting right next to me, holding on to my arm for dear life. A few moments later I noticed my shirt sleeve getting damp. She was crying. I held on to her for the rest of the band's performance and then excused us to go take a walk. She was having a hard time and needed to get it out and talk.
Lately I have been feeling guilty for being there and not being home for my little ones. Kind of that my place should be at home and not there. But I realized at that moment as Britt was continuing to dampen my shoulder that I was supposed to be there. Not only was Britt in need of some love but she needed me. And that I decided to help out because I wanted to be there for my children. And then I realized not only my children look forward to me being there but a whole lot of other Lola fans do too. And, truth be known, I had more kids at Basha high school than I did at home that night. No, I am not going to feel guilty anymore! And years from now I will be as involved in the little ones business just like I am now (whether they like it our not!)
No comments:
Post a Comment