Friday, October 19, 2012

The Bandroom after Hours

With it being marching band season I am afraid I neglect my little ones more than I should.
And last night was a great example.
Britt had a choir concert and Zach had a band concert.
I needed to get the sashes attached to the band uniforms for Friday's game.
So, as usual, band won out and I caught Britt's concert portion and spent the rest of the night battling buttons and a seam ripper.
Poor Zach was on his own.
And, unfortunately, this meant the little ones were my little helpers for the night.
I brought a portable DVD player but that is boring compared to being in the band room when no one else is in there.
A wonderland!
After about an hour of exploring and playing they came looking for something to do. I made them remove shako boxes and stack them in the main room for a shako project I have planned the next day. They loved the idea and Joey was the store clerk and Mackenzie the customer, Thery were having so much fun that when the concert portion of the night started, they tried to watch but couldn't contain themselves and chose to continue their game instead.
(Is it still child labor if they are having fun?)
And that is where my troubles started.
After the shako boxes were where they were supposed to be they decided to play a twisted version of Snow White that involved a glass slipper, an army after them, and some other imaginative stuff involving a jail.
 (Joey has this odd obsession with jails. He even wants one for Christmas....)
Well, in the locker room the guard have a cage where they keep the flags and somehow my little man locked himself inside the cage...using a combination lock!) No one knew the combination!
(I am so bad. I laughed and went back to work. Ashley knew exactly what to do.)
(We did find time for pictures, though)
 

 
Ten minutes later Mr. Souder, the Principal, came and unlocked Mr. Brooks office so we could get the combo information and unlock the jailbird. Ashley says Joey flew out of that thing and within ten minutes they were headed home. But the other ladies helping said, amazingly,  they were well mannered and very entertaining.
 
(I am not sure if this experience changed his view on jail but I have my fingers crossed)
And I am not sure what awaits me at school this morning. Will I get called to the principals office to discuss the previous evening? Or did he just chuckle at the situation as well?
One thing is for sure, I really need to spend more time with Jailbird Joey and his partner in crime. But after missing Zach's concert, don't I owe him another year of being involved in marching band? 

No comments: