As I sat in the stands watching the purple and gold gowns march onto the football field, it brought me back to 22 years ago when I was doing the exact same thing. It was a bittersweet moment for me. I was graduating from a high school I knew little about and wishing I was 600 miles north of here doing the same thing somewhere else. I never truly appreciated the traditions that make Mesa High what it is.
The school song, Carry On, is very short but very powerful as I listened to these kids who have been together for years sing this song knowing this will be the last time. I must admit I never understood it until now and I am proud to be a graduate from a school that has such rich traditions and familial connections. And maybe that is why it has such a powerful impact on me. This is something I will share with my children that not many others will have the opportunity to. We will have our own memories of the same place, memories that will intertwine and will bring us closer as we 'Carry on' in our own lives.
(Yes, I have heard too many graduation speeches this past week, can you tell?)
Cortney Anne Clawson graduated with honors yesterday, May 27th, 2010.
Ashley played in the full orchestra while Cortney sang in the choir. It was simply fabulous!
Here we are. Two generations of Mesa High graduates.
Congrats, Cortney. You did it!!!!!!
1 comment:
Congratulations Cortney! Good luck in Logan! It's so beautiful up there!
Post a Comment