Friday, August 21, 2009

The bus


Busy week with school but I just had to share another gripping story about Joey.
One of his new best friends at school is Luke. Luke gets to ride the bus home every day. Joey thinks that is pretty cool and asked if he could take the bus home. To his dismay, I informed the little lad that we live two minutes from school and there was no need to take the bus. Angry, glaring, unhappy eyes followed with a big huff and then the subject was dropped...or so I thought.
Tuesday, after a long day at school, I went to Franklin to pick up my carpool kids. All of the other kids came but no Joey. I quickly took the neighborhood kids home and then headed back to school to look for my son. I checked back at the same spot as the incident last week but he was not there. I checked into the office to inform them that my son was missing. A friend of mine stopped me outside the office and said she would take a look around campus while I drove home again to see if he walked.
Five minutes later she called me and told me that his teacher last saw him with Luke in the bus line. She reminded him that he does not ride the bus.


Well, since I am Joey's mom and I know how well he listens, I assumed he was on the bus. I headed back to school and the secretaries confirmed it. The little monster was taking the bus home. I am not sure what home he was going to but it wasn't ours!

The bus driver asked him what his name was and all he said was Joey. He asked where he lived and he said East Dolphin Avenue. The bus driver radioed into the school to let them know he was bringing Joey back to school.

I couldn't help myself, I just laughed. The secretaries laughed. The PTO president laughed (I'm afraid to know what the Principal thought) The worst part was when they brought him into the office. I had to keep a straight face and appear mad. It was so hard!

Once in the car, I asked little Joey why he got on the bus.

I just wanted to ride the bus, mom.

Well, that he did. And I am sure the bus driver has his face burned into his memory and he will never have the opportunity to ride again! (At least on the purple bus. There are five other colored buses. It's going to be a long year!)

3 comments:

Chyrisse Ballard said...

I am laughing out loud! I just love reading your blogs! Your kids are funny, awesome and so endearing! I miss you all so much!Sorry it's been a busy summer and am behind keeping up with my dear friends lives. Have a great day!

by...K@ Ashcroft said...

Oh Joe! Maybe you should take him on a ride of different Buses like the city bus and the light rail.
I love his curiosity and how something as simple as a bus ride can make 1 little boy so happy.

Tami said...

He had to ride a bus before Kenzie? How can he tell her all about the bus ride if he's not had a chance to ride it. Field trips don't count because there are teachers on board.