Saturday, January 31, 2009

The Tooth Fairy

I have noticed when someone around here gets a loose tooth, it is the worst thing in the world. Seriously, any other kind of pain pales in comparison to having a loose tooth in your mouth when you are trying to bite down on something. And when you can't bite down on anything, eating becomes such a chore (except for anything sweet and, of course, ice cream!) You can't brush your teeth because you might bump the darn thing. You can't go to bed at night because it will really hurt and if it falls out in the middle of the night, you could swallow it and die!!. You need to stay up and watch a little TV so you can forget about it. And most definitely you cannot do any chores because you could bump it and make it bleed. No, staying in bed all day (while watching TV, don't forget) is the only way to get over this terrible situation. So many hardships our children go through when those darn teeth get loose.


Well, Joey was in this same boat. Torture, unrest, and dying of starvation (sugary foods don't count, of course) and still, nothing could make his tooth fall out. But then big brother Zach explained that the Tooth Fairy will give you money if you leave the tooth under your pillow (At our house, she usually comes the third day, because, well,....... you know......she's a bit of a flake, but that little bit of information is just between us). This made Joey so happy. In fact, he loves money (what little boy doesn't?). So now when my little monster- I mean son- gets a loose tooth, he sits there grunting, pulling this way and that way, wiggling that poor little tooth, not giving up until it pops out. To him, blood is no big deal when there is money involved. I wonder if the Tooth Fairy realizes what she is teaching my son, Joey. The little boy who- not joke- carries little steel handcuffs with him wherever he goes. (We call him our Sheriff Joey, not to be confused with the other Sheriff Joe) I hope and pray he does not try to pull any others out before they are loose. Then Dr. Johnson will be having a word with me and, no doubt, the Tooth Fairy.

2 comments:

Chyrisse Ballard said...

I still think you should have your writing published! You are so great with words. Thanks for the good laugh! I understand perfectly!

Johnston*family said...

I agree, you should write a book! I love reading your blog!