Adversity is a good thing every now and again. The hard part is trying to convince yourself of that (and keeping up with it for good). This week I have learned that my children really love each other, even though they call each other names, bicker, belittle, and snarl at each other (kind of reminds me of going to the zoo.) When things are at their scariest, they got each other's back.
It is such a great feeling to know that if they need each other, they are going to pull through. Come on, we all have brothers and sisters who most of the time we tolerate and, lets face it, could barely stand to be in the same room with. I know because I have two of each. But deep down they are so very important to me and people I love to be around. But, of course, I am an adult now and I know how important they are. But it is rare for my kids to see each other in that light at this young and tender age.
(Yeah, yeah, I'm getting to my point. I'm a bit long winded today.)
Monday, while I was picking up my 'middle children' from school and dropping off carpool kids, some people broke into my house and stole some things: laptop computer, camera, Wii, and a bunch of other things. I was gone for 20 minutes and that was all it took. I thank my lucky stars no one was home. I panicked when I found out and I knew exactly what to do with my kids. To Grandmas house they go. And they did. I had no worries about them because I knew they were together and with family.
When the day was over and things had calmed down, we changed our Family Home Evening a bit and talked about how we all felt about what had happened. There were tears, fears, and hugs, but mostly my children mentioned how they knew what was really important. They knew all those things were just stuff and that we were a family and as long as we had each other, everything would be great. Heavenly Father kept us safe and did not let any of us get hurt. We could get more stuff later and, in the meantime, we would be just fine. (This coming from my 10 year old, who lost all of his video game equipment and is completely devastated.) And he is right. We will be just
fine. I'm grateful for my kids who are making this unnerving situation a little easier for me to handle. So, this week, if I could hand out hero awards, all six of them would get one. Because they are my heroes!!!!!!!
fine. I'm grateful for my kids who are making this unnerving situation a little easier for me to handle. So, this week, if I could hand out hero awards, all six of them would get one. Because they are my heroes!!!!!!!
No comments:
Post a Comment