Monday, September 8, 2008

ear peircing

We have started a tradition that when our girls turn twelve, they get to have their ears pierced. (We chose twelve because I had to wait til I was 16, and I was not happy about it, having to watch my friends and church mates play with thier long dangly earrings and all I had were big fat earlobes.I couldn't put my kids through that kind of torture. Besides, something special needs to happen when you go to Young Women's) So, we took Britt and her cousin, Dani (who is only 10 and Britt reminded me of that over and over and over.... as I can do anything about it.) to the mall to do the deed. Silly mom forgot to bring her her purse, so I called Travis to have him bring it by. Well, silly mom again forgot to tell Trav which mall we were at, So he drove all the way to Chandler while we waited and waited and waited... (superstition Mall is the opposite direction.)

Needless to say, the girls went home with perfect holeless earlobes and I received the silent treatment and the worst mother of the year award. We tried it again later that evening. It being Labor Day, we arrived 20 minutes after the stores closed. Who knew places closed early on Labor Day? I thought for sure I was one of those busy shopping holidays. Do I feel sheepish!!!

So, take three. We went the next day, right after music lessons and it finally happened. My daughter purposefully poked a hole in each ear in the name of beauty. She didn't cry or make any kind of fuss. And she looks great. Dani pierced hers as well and she even let Britt go first. Now, I have to admit my child is getting older. Soon she will want those dangly earring and bracelets that match and the whole make up thing will be a big deal. (Maybe my folks were on to something by making us wait til 16.)

1 comment:

Tami said...

They sure look cute. I'm sorry Dani didn't have to wait til she was 12. They were very brave, I wouldn't have done it. Well, I didn't do it. Now you can buy her some earrings for Christmas.