Tuesday, September 23, 2008

Sean

My mother grew up on the same street as all of her family, well, most of them, at least. Grandma and Grandpa lived at the house on the corner with Marie and Orin on the other side and scattered down the street were the rest of the cousins. My mom's best friends growing up were her cousins. She has so many stories, memories of times spent together. I can't help but envy that sometimes.



My cousin died on Friday. His name is Sean Burbidge. He was the same age as me and I knew him very little. He spent the summer with us many years ago and he was a great guy. I can't help but wonder if we had not moved to Arizona if I would know him better. Then again, Uncle Gary was always on the move himself so I don't know. Of course, it would be so easy if we all lived together like my mother's family. But that is not the way it is. My cousin is dead and I really never had the chance to really know him. I think that is really why I am sad.



My parents leave for Utah tomorrow and I can't go with them, although I wish Icould. Sean had been sick for a long time and I knew this was coming but it still hard to accept. My heart goes out to Uncle Gary. He is so sweet and I know this must be killing him.

Sean Christian Burbidge

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I feel your pain. I just found out about his passing yesterday. I was his best man in his wedding. You didn't know a very wonderful and kind man. He will be missed.

susan said...

I am Sean's mother. Thank you for your beautiful tribute. Sean was a beautiful man, smart, pure of heart, and gentle. He suffered immensely over the last several years, rarely complaining, and in so doing, he stole the hearts of all medical personnel who dealt with him. I am grieving tremendously over the loss of my only child; he was my whole life, and I'm sorry you all missed the opportunity of knowing him. I would suggest that the Burbidge/Flowers clan strive to get close so that they may never again regret having the opportunity of sharing someone as remarkable as Sean. Those lost times can never be regained . . .