Sunday, August 24, 2008

turning twelve

Today is my nephew Josh's birthday. He is turning twelve and will be ordained a deacon. Very exciting. Mostly because exactly one week later, pretty Brit will turn twelve as well. I'm very excited about that because I get to be her Young Woman's leader. Yep, I got a new calling. I am the Second Counsleor in Young Womans. I have known for six weeks. They have been trying to find a gentle, patient soul to take over thirteen vivacious bear scouts. (It is nice to know it took THAT long. Kinda means I'm hard to replace. If only it were that simple) Today is my first day. We have a girl with down syndrome in our ward. I've known her since she was adopted and she is very sweet, if not very stubborn and independant. That will be my biggest challenge. Of, course, Brittany's biggest challenge will be me.

My older girls are already going through high drama in school this year. It's nice to know some things don't change in twenty years. I have to admit that I don't miss it, I just wish I could make it easier for them. But they will handle it. Just gotta have faith, and a few strategically placed spies to keep me informed, as any good mother would do.

Ashley's band trip has been changed from New York to San Diego. I'm very happy about that. I wasn't sure I wanted to send her all the way to New York. After all, she is only 14. I keep teasing her that I am going to volunteer to be a chapperone in San Diego, but she is freaking out. I can't imagine why. My mom came with me on one of my band trips and I had so much fun!!!!!!!! Besides, I love San diego. I remind her of that every time I see her. (Who said you can't torture your children anymore? I'm doing such a great job of it so far. But my dad likes to remind me that what comes around, goes around. You'd think I would remember that. Oh, well)

My mom is doing much better. They removed the staples from her shoulder but she still needs to keep it still. I'm still going over every day to help but mostly keep her company. She starts physical therapy in a week and a half.

No comments: