Tuesday, September 21, 2010

midnight encounters

It's 2 a.m. and I am lying in bed, holding Travis' hand, and I get this sensation of warm air cascading over my face.
I open my eyes to find Joey standing a foot from my face, startling me.

He has had a nightmare.

I wonder how long he has been standing there.
I scoot over and he climbs in, literally burrowing into me for comfort. 
I adjust my position, and close my eyes in an attempt to fall asleep.

Then I hear the creeking of the door down the hall.
(Ever since we got new doors, I can pretty much figure out which door is opening or closing by the creaking sound it makes. My kids hate the sound. Me? I don't mind cuz it gives me a heads up!)

The next thing I know Mackenzie jumps on the bed and finds her space between Travis and I.
We all get comfy

Poor Travis, he tries to recover from her 'commando' approach.

As I am laying there, two little bodies fighting for what space there is left, I think to myself that I only have to get up in 2 1/2 hours. This lack of space or breathing room is causing me not to sleep.
Maybe I should just give up and go to sleep on the couch.
Then I am reminded of a certain redhead who is asleep over 1000 miles away, and another who is not far but is much too old to cuddle with mom.

I am reminded how fast life happens.

So instead, I cuddle a little closer with my two leeches and relish this time.
Because soon enough, they will be too old for these special moments, too.

1 comment:

Jungle Journalist said...

That's an awesome post. very poetic. I liked it a lot. I miss you too.